The device called “AJO-Neo” is developed by Professor Samir K. Pal & his group at S.N. Bose National Centre For Basic Sciences (SNBNCBS), Kolkata.
- The operation of the device is based on non-contact and non-invasive spectrometry-based techniques for measurement of neonatal bilirubin level.
- The newly developed device (AJO-Neo) is reliable in measuring bilirubin levels in preterm.
- Term neonates irrespective of gestational or postnatal age, sex, risk factors, feeding behavior or skin color.
- The device is found to deliver an almost instantaneous report (about 10 seconds) to a concerned doctor, who is sitting 10000 km away from the point of care.
- It helps in detection of neonatal blood bilirubin (Hyperbilirubinemia)> Faster detection is extremely important for therapeutic management in order to avoid Kernicterus leading to Neuo-psychiatry problems.