Union Minister of State for Shipping Shri Mansukh Mandaviya has launched ‘SAROD-Ports’ (Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes – Ports).
What is ‘SAROD-Ports’?
- SAROD Ports is established under Societies Registration Act, 1860 with the following objectives –
- Affordable and timely resolution of disputes in fair manner.
- Enrichment of Dispute Resolution Mechanism with the panel of technical experts as arbitrators.
- SAROD Ports consists members from Indian Ports Association (IPA) and Indian Private Ports and Terminals Association (IPTTA).
- SAROD-Ports will advise and assist in settlement of disputes through arbitrations in the maritime sector, including ports and shipping sector in Major Port Trusts, Non-major Ports, including private ports, jetties, terminals and harbours.
- It will also cover disputes between granting authority and Licensee/Concessionaire/Contractor and also disputes between Licensee/Concessionaire and their contractors arising out of and during the course of execution of various contracts.
- ‘SAROD Ports’ is similar to provision available in Highway Sector in the form of SAROD-Roads constituted by NHAI.
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved amendments in the Model Concession Agreement (MCA). In January,2018.The amendments in the MCA, envisaged constitution SAROD-PORTS as dispute resolution mechanism for PPP Projects in the Major Ports.