Recently, the Rajasthan government has decided to build temporary shelters for migratory birds near the Sambhar Lake (near Jaipur) before 2020’s winter season.
- Every year, a large number of birds from the cold northern regions of Central Asia come to Sambhar Lake.
- In 2019, more than 20,000 migratory birds died due to avian botulism in the lake.
- Rajasthan High Court took suo motu cognisance of the mass death and asked the expert committee to carry out an investigation and make recommendations.
- The Court has constituted a seven-member expert committee to study the impact of salt-forming and identify any illegal salt mining in the lake.
- It has suggested the state government seek the centre’s support for more funds for creating an infrastructure for the safety and security of birds.