A malware named ‘BlackRock’, equipped with data-stealing capabilities, has been reported targeting the Android mobile devices, Parliament was informed recently about this attack.
- BlackRock can steal credentials from more than 300 apps like email clients, e-commerce apps, messaging/social media apps, entertainment apps, banking, financial apps etc.
- The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has published an alert on this virus in July 2020 on its website as well as Cyber Swachhta Kendra, and alerted the users regarding precautionary measures to be taken to ward off the virus.
- As per information made available by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), a total of 49 complaints regarding frauds in online shopping has been received till date.
- The government has operationalized the Cyber Swachhta Kendra to enable detection and cleaning of malicious code, this center operates in close coordination and collaboration with internet service providers (ISPs) and the industry.
- CERT-In is operational since January 2004. The constituency of CERT-In is the Indian Cyber Community. CERT-In is the national nodal agency for responding to computer security incidents as and when they occur
- CERT-In has been designated to serve as the national agency to perform the following functions in the area of cyber security:
- Collection, analysis and dissemination of information on cyber incidents.
- Forecast and alerts of cyber security incidents
- Emergency measures for handling cyber security incidents
- Coordination of cyber incident response activities.
- Issue guidelines, advisories, vulnerability notes and whitepapers relating to information security practices, procedures, prevention, response and reporting of cyber incidents.
- Such other functions relating to cyber security as may be prescribed.
- Government has taken a number of measures to check malicious apps and enable users to protect their mobile phones, including sending alerts and advisories about threats, vulnerabilities and malware affecting mobile phones along with countermeasures.
- The government has operationalized the Cyber Swachhta Kendra to enable detection and cleaning of malicious code.